Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter Ponderings



The fish of the day seems to be Sea Bass, but why is it called sea bass when bass is a native fish of North America?

Why do people say Pin number?

What does the D in I.D stand for?

Being Good Friday we had our annual visitation from the Jehovah Witness's. This year it was a little old lady and somebody who could have been her middle aged daughter, knocking on doors and handing out copies of the Watchtower or whatever their booklet is called (I apologise for my ignorance here).

Anyway we got into a good conversation about God, Darwin, religion etc, I said I respected people's rights etc etc but I wasn't a believer myself. She said that she found a lot of people were telling her that they didn't believe in God and she found this sad. I wondered how many of those who had told her they were non-believers did so because it's 20% off day at Homebase and Comet has some special offers. She said that not believing there was a person responsible for the miracle of my existence was like thinking that the Oxford English Dictionary was the result of an explosion in a printing factory, which was a good analogy.

I said I was with Darwin on evolution, she said that she didn't believe evolution was a good argument, I said well if you put a banana skin in a milk bottle and pour cooling hot water on the skin within forty eight hours you will see life - infusoria, Ive been keeping tropical fish for nearly twenty years you see and it's an old trick of the trade. You can read how to create it here. At this point her 'daughter' began to rummage around in here bag and produced a book with an article in it where a scientist argued against science being the reason for creation - presumably he was one of those who believes that the best way to bring down the opposition is to burrow outwards from inside! Well I said thanks but no thanks, we wished each other a happy Easter and off they went. Janis said that was precisely the reason why she won't allow me to work from home, I'd spend too much time listening to anybody who cares to knock on the front door. I like to think it helps me keep an open mind, listening to the other side of my argument, but she's probably right.

6 comments:

Span Ows said...

infusoria...even more incredible when you think that bananas are one of the most (if not THE most) pesticide and herbicide covered crop humans produce...

Paul said...

Hey Span perhaps that's why it works - it's the chemicals. Infusoria aren't a miracle of life they are some sort of chemically assisted mutant!

Curmy said...

Paul, I won't have any truck with Jehovah Witnesses after seeing one of their children die though lack of a blood transfusion.
My Dad used to invite them in and argue with them in the living room, it drove my Mother wild !

Span Ows said...

Horrible isn't it curmy, anyone can tolerate someone else's beliefs but not when those same beliefs lead to unnecessary death and suffering.

Baldi, I predict a mutant tropical fish world take-over bid within the next 50 - 100 years, they shouldn't receive much resistance as we'll (humans) be on the way out by then!

...oh happy day...oh happy day

P.S. Isn't the D for ID as in IDENT...not initials but a shortened word.

Paul said...

Curmy I'd forgotten that, there was a case recently down here where a JW child died because the parents refused to allow a blood transfusion - thanks for reminding me.

Span - on the news this morning I heard that scientists have just found a squid with four metre tentacles - the fight back has begun - although they aren't technically a fish. And I think you are right about ID - it all makes sense now.

Curmy said...

I think there was a case recently of a woman dieing soon after giving birth to twins because she refused a blood transfusion, unbelievable !