Wednesday, March 19, 2008


I May Not Be Alone



Don't worry I haven't suddenly become a dog lover, it's a metaphor for depression - you know Winston Churchill and his 'black dog'. Anyway it's been really bad lately, for almost two weeks which is way too long, if I'm honest (and not feeling too much self pity) I'm finding it hard to hold things together a lot of the time. I'm restless, easily distracted and at the moment I don't feel I'm worth my salary at work.

Anyway, just as I was about to slip the noose around my neck I read in my local evening paper that scientists in Australia have found a connection between diabetes and depression. Although the study concentrated on people aged between 18 and 28 the symptoms and the circumstances can be applied to anybody with diabetes who suffers from poor sugar control. The problem here is a classic Catch-22 scenario. If you have poor sugar control (glycaemic control) you get depressed, when you get depressed you suffer from, yes you've got there already, poor glycaemic control. This in turn leads to problems with your heart, kidneys, liver, blindness - blimey, diabetes really isn't a barrel of laughs is it? Now these symptoms are normally associated with Type 1 diabetes, that's the type controlled by insulin, rather than Type 2, which is what I have, which is controlled by diet. The problem is that with either type you experience peaks and troughs with your blood sugar level, when I spoke to my nurse about feeling depressed she said that it's not unusual for people with Type 2 to experience this, simply because the ups and downs of your blood sugar level also impact on other naturally created chemicals in your body.

Now most people know that you can artificially create some highs, simple things like eating chocolate is one, the problem is that eating chocolate isn't very good at all for a diabetic, you get a sugar rush, your pancreas can't deal with the increased blood sugar and you either crave more chocolate or you get ill. So what's the solution? Well the survey concluded their findings by saying that diabetic patients need counselling and psychological support. I can't have counselling again, I've been there twice before and I know there are people with far greater health problems out there who need the resources of the NHS to work for them.

I think I need a mental kick up the arse, tell myself I've got a wonderful wife, lovely daughter, well paid job and a decent life. Be a little bit less inhibited, try and relax more, try and come out of my shell a bit more with people, realise that talking about problems isn't a weakness. I've always been a good listener but rarely a good talker.

8 comments:

Curmy said...

Paul, I'm so sorry you're feeling down at the moment, I've had depression on and off for years, but not the diabetes.
I do hope you manage to come out from under your dark cloud.
I'm sure we'll all be thinking about you, and hoping you feel more positive soon.
Why don't you put your latest blog on Gavin's support thread ?
Hugs x x

Paul said...

Thanks Curmy for your kind words. I had depression many years ago and you have my sympathy because it's not simply a matter of 'cheering up'. I'm actually relieved that I read this report and that there is a link between diabetes sufferers and depression because I was starting to get a bit worried!

Curmy said...

At least you know that's the probable cause Paul, and hopefully things will improve. (Hugs)

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
If only it were that easy to dismiss depression and be able to pull yourself together by seeing all the good aspects of our life but we know it is not that simple.

I don't dismiss the need for taking anti-depressants and how the latest report issued suggested that they "Don't work"

If the correct medicine is found for that individual person and they are taken as directed...they do.

As you say, it is not always caused by a particular event but is more often than not tied up with a chemical imbalance of some kind.

Very few of the population will not have been touched by it either personally seeing a loved one suffer or experiencing it themselves.

Unfortunately, you usually have to go to rock bottom before climbing out of the mess and often it can creep up withoutout warning and therefore it's not always possible to stop it before its happened.

I hope that you soon start to feel improved. My turn to think of you.

Span Ows said...

Oi, Baldi, you old git - snap out of it...

That of course is in jest (mostly) ;-)

I think that it's a 'certain age' thing too. Male menapause meets diabetes causing depression isn't rare but it can be crushing. What diet have they suggested? As a coincidence I've just mentioned carbs on Gildy's blog: if you try to cut out carbs (not easy to do) you may find it helps because it will reduce the secretion of insulin produced during digestion of starches/sugars etc.

Plus of course being a Hammers fan doesn't help! :-)

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span :-)
I see scientists are now saying if they can crack Insulin and how it works they believe they can slow down the age process so we'll look and feel better...so many things promised(all after we've gone)

Typical...

Paul said...

Hi Gildy and Span - thanks for your comments and support. I read about the insulin/longer life findings in the paper today, I have to agree with Gildy that so many health improvements are being made that future generations will be very well looked after.

The diet I am on is supposed to be okay Span, no different to what it was before basically - I just wonder whether a combination of certain foods can be the cause. I don't like chocolate or over sweet things so that's not a problem, the only thing I can't eat/drink which I do miss - and this is a bit unusual for a man - is grapefruit and grapefruit juice.

I don't think I've got enough enthusiasm for a mid-life crisis at the moment!

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Funny that you mention Grapefruit...I wish I could remember where I've read that before...it was another illness/condition where it was advisable to avoid.

And you know, usually if you are forbidden something, it makes it more likely that you want it.

I dread to think what I would be like if my diet was restricted as can happen.

I'd be unhappy but I guess you resign yourself to what will be. For now...not a problem, thank heavens...