Friday, November 05, 2010

Strange Days Indeed....




Having taken the last of my annual leave entitlement this week Friday meant a trip into the New Forest for lunch at one of the area's finest hostelries. Anyway after a pint of the local real ale it was time to use to the facilities.

Stepping into the Gents I noticed the Victorian style washbasins, the hand dryer and two urinals. There, above the urinals, was a copy of the above photograph from the film 'The Seven Year Itch'. Now leaving aside the possible double entendres that could arise from the situation this is possibly the most bizarre placement of art in a public toilet I have seen. I've seen some wonderful mosaic patterns in Paris, some posters in the loos at the Barbican many years ago and even tourist posters in German service station toilets but this is the first time I've hand to stand in a toilet at eye level with Marilyn's knickers.

3 comments:

Span Ows said...

Great. I thought you were going to write about teh exquisite ceramic designs of the old loos and basins etc (which i really like)

Re bathroom art: this is the best I know of (not seen it in person yet!)

Paul said...

As soon as New Zealand gets the World Cup you'll be there!

Span Ows said...

hehehe - I live in hope!

by the way, seen these pictures today, unseen/unpublished before: Marylin Monroe bear