Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Prat



Boris Johnson really does himself no favours sometimes, I'm sure that somewhere beneath that Afghan Hound hairstyle there is a brain yet it often remains conspicuous by its absence.

In his role as London Mayor, Boris Johnson has revoked FIFA's free hotel rooms at the city's exclusive Dorchester hotel during the 2012 Olympic Games. FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his team had been in line to benefit from the rooms during the two-week sporting extravaganza in the city.

Taking this away is a clear demonstration of why the rest of the world sometimes think us little Englanders are too far up our own arses to see the reality. Let's see, we've lost a vote so I know, let's withdraw our sense of fair play and decency, the one thing that often separates us from lesser countries.

Following the farce of the 2018 World Cup vote, for some reason Arsene Wenger's quote about, "Always thinking you have the most beautiful wife at home," keeps coming to mind," good old Boris has decided that they should not receive the freebie.

Yes I know that some people will be cheering and saying, "Well done Boris," but what does this achieve? Is this the beginning of a "it's my ball and I'm taking it home," scenario? England lost a vote and so we pull up the bridge and hide behind the castle walls?

The best way to deal with all this fallout would have been to allow the occupancy of the rooms to go ahead, let the delegates see what we have to offer, show them we are the best at what we do, instead we have retreated into our shell.

Leaving this story aside I have to say that, when you read Boris's comments on the failure to secure the 2018 World Cup, you can't help thinking he's a plant for Class War. He said the result was a "big blow and tremendously disappointing, we put together a cracking bid, our technical specification was top-notch and our stadiums would have been packed to the rafters," he added.

If he had only added, "and there will be lashings of ginger beer at half time," my day would have been complete.

6 comments:

Name Witheld said...

I agree almost entirely, Paul. When I heard the news I thought he was being just as bad FIFA allegedly are.

The point at which I disagree is in your choise of four letter word to describe the mayor of London. My choice would've been "cock".

Span Ows said...

Apart from being very funny I agree entirely. Quite pathetic and reminds me of a comment I read somewhere this morning re the Russian spy girlie working for Lib Dem Hancock, it loses a lot in translation (I can't find it and don't remember exactly) but along the lines of "you may have won the multi-billion competition but we'll get our own back, we've already decide to deport a student researcher Hah!"...

Shy, 'cock' is too tame and 'usual' to someone in agriculture: "prick" would be better (except for those seamstresses reading)

Span Ows said...

completely off topic but to do with your hatred of flash mobs...

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/04/fictional-story-of-a.html

watch until the end, it's only 5 minutes and done in a chirpy way but it's quite shocking...and true.

Paul said...

It just seemed so childish really Shy.

Span - I do like Tom Scott and you are right it is quite shocking. My dislike of flash mobs stems purely from the way a certain mobile phone company hijacked what I thought was a very good idea.

Span Ows said...

FIFA/Qatar corruption becomes clearer...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/10/barcelona-25m-shirt-sponsorship-qatar-foundation

;-)

Paul said...

Thanks Span - I had prepared a piece for today.