Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's a female thing isn't it?

I couldn't help noticing tonight that the two e-mails I had received, one from the young lady who owns the photo studio I use and the other from a model I am going to shoot, that both added an x after their name.

Checking through other e-mails from women I know and even some text messages each one from a woman had at least one x after it - bizarre. Given that the combined age of the two women today would be around 45 I decided against replying in kind because it seems sort of pervy.

3 comments:

Span Ows said...

I note that too. Seems "friendly" but as you say, no way can you respond in kind. Reminds me of having to explain to my Spanish colleagues that even though "un abrazo" is perfectly acceptable between men and women, men and men, women and women etc who know each other reasonably well (in Spanish) it is totally, TOTALLY, inappropriate in English: basically it means "Hugs".

Hugs

Span

(see what I mean)

A Northern Bloke said...

Yes, you're right, I got a text from my guitar pupil's mother the other day and her message ended with an x.

It is a female thing : but there are many such "nuances" to be negotiated in our dealings with the opposite sex and, it seems, we learn by experience.

Paul said...

I'll take that as a man hug Span!

You'r right Shy, nuances are indeed something we sometimes learn the hard way.