Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sods Law

I didn't go to Germany for Easter this year, I did write a post about Easter at home but didn't get around to posting it due to circumstances beyond my control, I am going at the end of May/beginning of June instead.

The one thing I have learned from the last two years spending Easter in Germany is that everything, or virtually everything, closes for Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. The Sunday hasn't really been an issue as I was travelling from one part of the country to another but the Monday's have been dire and last year in Schleswig was possibly one of the most depressing days I have ever spent anywhere on holiday. My idea of holiday heaven is not spending it channel hopping German and Danish TV because everywhere is closed and it is too cold to do anything outside.

Anyway, bearing that in mind imagine how delighted I was to discover this week that the Monday I am in Duisburg this year is a Bank Holiday! Oh joy of joys. Fortunately it's not a complete disaster as the industrial heritage site that I was planning to visit on the Saturday is open on both the Sunday and the Monday, so all that is required is a little change to my self imposed itinerary. I know it seems really anal to have an itinerary in the first place but if I don't have some idea of what I want to do I'll end up channel hopping foreign TV stations!

2 comments:

Span Ows said...

Not in Munich on May 19th are you?

Paul said...

No, I'm further north the week after.