Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Health Update

Today was my annual diabetes review, I had a blood test about ten days ago and this afternoon I went for the results of that plus I have to have some other tests: feet, circulation, weight.

Well it went surprisingly well, I say that because the last month has been so hard at work and I've felt absolutely knackered that I thought I was getting worse, it turns out that the only cause for concern is that my blood sugar level increased slightly between October and ten days ago. This isn't unusual in my case because it does tend to go up around this time, it's funny because feeling tired usually means either a lack of blood sugar or 'spikes' in the level over a period of time. Historically speaking, in the next three tests I take the level usually drops below the medical definition of diabetes, unfortunately just as alcoholics are always alcoholics so us diabetics are always diabetics. My kidney, liver and circulation stats are all good and I've lost some more weight - I actually think I've reached the point where I can't lose much more weight, the fat is converting into muscle, my BMI is down but I understand that a lot of medical people now say that BMI is not a reliable way of measuring your health.

Well it's only about four weeks until Easter and the clocks changing, that's when my lifestyle seems to change as well - longer daylight hours means more cycling after work and a general sense of well being.

4 comments:

Name Witheld said...

Hi Paul,

It's great to hear your good news.

I, too, am looking forward to the clocks going forward. It's still daylight when I leave work but it's just about dark when I get home.... ...but not for long!!!!!

Crispin Heath said...

Brilliant that's good news.

Conversely I'm putting on weight, probably because of less exercise over winter, but my doctor's are pleased with me as they would much rather see it that way round than the other, as it's often a very basic measure of whether you'4e doing well or not.

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Let's hope the good news can continue...my turn on Thursday...That's really good to see for both you Paul and Six...

I shouldn't listen but I heard tonight on a medical radio programme how bad things have to be for symptoms to show regarding the Liver(so I know the same is true of Kidneys)

Now, the good side is that things have to be really bad for things to be bleak but then isn't it a pity that this means that often when things could be fixed and/reversed or controlled by being caught sooner, many do not realise.

So again it shows that we should all have a check up now and again even when we feel fine.

I replied to your Alexis story on my blog Paul...

Paul said...

Thanks Shy, Six and Gildy for the comments, I was dreading the results to be honest as I've been so run down lately.

You're right Six, with your illness weight gain is important for good reason.

Good luck for Thursday Gildy. I agree about the health checks, I was talking to a colleague yesterday whose wife has cancer and he was saying that we really do have our priorities wrong when it comes to life balance.

We all think work is important but health is much more important, as they say prevention is better than cure.